Father’s Day is right around the corner on June 21, 2015. Do you know what you are getting for the men in your life? Here are a few DIY and naturally minded gift ideas for the men in your life, some tried and true and some that just intrigued me!
1. For the hard working men in your life, make them homemade Lotion Bars:
My husband is far from crunchy granola but the one product that I’ve made that he loves is my Lotion bars! They have a very subtle fragrance, although you could add other fragrances to make them smell more “manly” if your man prefers a stronger smell. These are great for dry, cracked skin on the knuckles and all around dry hands from all the hard work our men do for us!
The recipe I used is from Thank Your Body: http://www.thankyourbody.com/orange-honey-lotion-bars/
1 1/2 Tablespoons of raw honey
2 ounces organic beeswax
2 ounces organic shea butter
2 ounces organic coconut oil
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
6 drops of organic orange essential oil
1. In a double boiler, melt together the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil until they become a smooth, uniform liquid.
2. Turn the heat off and add the olive oil, honey, and essential oil drops.
3. In a muffin tin lined with five cupcake liners (reusable silicone works great!), ladle the mixture evenly between the lined cupcake wells.
4. Allow to set (or harden) on the counter for 7 to 8 hours, or pop in the fridge to speed up the process.
(this recipe makes 5 bars)
2. For the bearded men in your life, why not make them a Beard Balm:
I’m intrigued by this recipe by Transient Expression: http://transientexpression.com/diy-gift-beard-balm/
Beard Balm Base:
2 Tbsp beeswax, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp shea butter
1 Tbsp cocoa butter
3 tsp jojoba oil
2 tsp sweet almond oil
1/8 tsp bourbon oil – this was a fragrance oil the original author ordered off Amazon. Check out her site for her thoughts on this.
4-8 drops cedar essential oil
1 drop rosemary essential oil
Directions: Add the beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and sweet almond oil to a small jar or tin, and place in a saucepan. A tin can is a good choice, but you should avoid glass, since it can crack from direct heat. Add water to an inch or two below the top of the jar, and heat over a stovetop until everything melts and liquifies. Stir with a disposable popsicle stick or wooden chopstick. Add essential oils just a few drops at a time to scent your balm, and stir to combine. When you’ve achieved the scent you want, pour your balm into a mini mason jar, and allow to cool.
3. For the clean shaven men in your life, why not help them reduce their carbon footprint while getting a closer shave!
Straight Razor Gift Set:
buy it here from Amazon: Gold Dollar Straight Razor Shaving Set
Don’t think your man is ready for the Straight Razor just yet? Why not try a Safety Razor Gift Set:
I actually ditched my Venus razor for a safety razor about a year ago because I wanted to decrease my own carbon footprint and those plastic razor blades not only contribute a great deal of unnecessary waste they are also stupid expensive! I bought a pack of the Astra razor blades like in the picture above and it was only like $10 for 100 blades!!! No brainer!
buy the gift set pictured above here from Amazon: Samurai Men Premium Shaving Set
4. You could make them a DIY Shaving Cream to go with their new shaving set!
Check out one of my favorite bloggers, Wellness Mama, for her homemade shaving options for men: http://wellnessmama.com/5289/homemade-shaving-options-for-men/
Shave Cream Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive, almond or coconut oil
- 2-3 TBSP Shea or Cocoa Butter
- 1/4 cup Aloe Gel or Honey
- 1 TBSP Kaolin clay or white cosmetic clay (optional)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup Liquid Castille Soap
- Vitamin E or GSE (to preserve)
Shave Cream Instructions
- Melt the oil and shea/cocoa butter in a double boiler until just melted
- Remove from heat and add other ingredients
- Whisk or blend well for several minutes
- Transfer to jar or container to store
- Check while it is cooling to make sure it doesn’t start to separate. If it does, shake or mix well to re-incorporate.
- Lasts up to two months (not sure about longer)
5. Of course after they’ve shaved they need a Bay Rum Aftershave:
Check out this one I found from another one of my favorite bloggers, Crunchy Betty: http://www.crunchybetty.com/40-hot-homemade-gift-ideas-for-the-men-in-your-life
- 4 Ounces Vodka
- 2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
- Fresh Zest from a Small Orange
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator) for two weeks. This allows the alcohol to extract the essential oils from the bay leaves. After two weeks, strain the mixture through several layers of coffee filters. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in a nice bottle and splash on face after shaving.
6. Freshen his breath or help him quit smoking with Assorted Flavored “Tooth Twigs”:
- 2 oz Cinnamon Bark essential oil (other oils you could use are peppermint, anise, or lemon – all of which would help freshen breath!)
- 500 toothpicks
- small, airtight container with lid
Directions: Pour 2 oz Cinnamon Bark eo into the bottom of your small, airtight container and place toothpicks inside. Place lid on container and let sit overnight. (Even though the oil is only at the bottom of the jar, the flavor will be strong through the entire toothpick. As the toothpicks sit, the cinnamon bark oil is absorbed into the wood and will travel up the sticks. The entire toothpick will be wet after sitting overnight.) Remove toothpicks and spread them out to dry on nonporous surface (a plastic cutting board would work). Do not let the toothpicks dry in direct sunlight. Toothpicks are ready to be used when they are dry to the touch. Store in airtight container.
This recipe is also from Crunchy Betty. Check out her other ideas here: http://www.crunchybetty.com/40-hot-homemade-gift-ideas-for-the-men-in-your-life
7. For the GrillMeisters in your life make them some DIY Spice Rub Mixes:
I made these for the men in our family for Christmas last year and they were a BIG hit!!! These are the recipes I chose, but you can choose others that might suit your fancy!
Moo (great for brisket):
- 1/2 cup/120 mL paprika
- 1/4 cup/60 mL kosher salt, finely ground
- 1/4 cup/60 mL sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL mustard powder
- 1/4 cup/60 mL chili powder
- 1/4 cup/60 mL ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup/60 mL granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL cayenne
“Magic Dust” Seasoning Recipe from: http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm
Oink (for all things pork):
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Rib Seasoning Recipe from: https://biz319.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/beautiful-day-4/
Cluck (for finger lickin’ chicken):
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
Chicken Seasoning Blend from AllRecipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-seasoning-blend/detail.aspx
8. And last but not least, try these “Dude Approved” essential oils and blends:
- Deep Relief or PanAway – massage into affected area to relieve discomfort from sore muscles or aching joints after a hard day at work!
- Lavender and/or Cedarwood – help your man get a good night’s sleep by diffusing lavender and/or cedarwood in the bedroom at night!
- Valor – does your man snore? Give him a nice foot massage before bed and rub in a little Valor with some coconut oil so you can get a good night’s sleep too!
- Lavender, Peppermint, and Lemon – does your man have seasonal discomfort? Make up some vegetable capsules with 5 drops each and fill with carrier oil to add as a dietary supplement. You could also make a rollerball recipe using 10 drops each of these oils in a 10 ml rollerball filled with carrier oil to rub across the bridge of the nose for severe discomfort. (be mindful that peppermint oil is a “hot” oil and may have a tingly sensation when rubbed across the skin – always do a test patch before using anywhere near your face!)
- Stress Away – help your man face the day with a Stress Away roll on. It has a nice woodsy aroma and helps keep you calm when dealing with daily stressors! Also try diffusing Frankincense or Cedarwood to promote a calm environment!
- En-R-Gee – does your man need a little extra pep in his step? Help him fight fatigue throughout the day by applying En-R-Gee to wrists and/or behind the ears. Also try diffusing Citrus Fresh in the office for extra productivity!
** Adapted from Lemondropper’s marketing materials: Essential Oils for Dudes
Do you have other good DIY and naturally minded gift ideas for Father’s Day? Share them below to keep the conversation going!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products and techniques mentioned here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information here is in no way intended to replace proper medical help. Consult with the health authorities of your choice for treatment.